What Is Ambien 10mg?
Know About Forms of Ambien, Dosage, Uses, Side effects and Warnings
Ambien 10mg is a sedative-hypnotic drug used for treating insomnia (helps in falling asleep). It is a prescription medication. Ambien comes from a group of nonbenzodiazepine. It is a brand name for the drug zolpidem. Ambien 10 mg tablet is a capsule-shaped white film-coated medicine, imprinted as AMB 10 on one side 5421 on the other.
Forms of Ambien
- Ambien (immediate-release tablet)
- Ambien CR (extended-release tablet)
- Edluar (sublingual tablet)
- Intermezzo (sublingual tablet)
How Ambien 10mg works?
Ambien (zolpidem) belongs to the class of sedative drugs. It works faster within 30 min and increases the level of GABA, those chemicals which help in sleep.
Uses of Ambien 10mg
It is used to treat specific sleep problems like insomnia in adults over 18 years of age. Ambien helps a person falling asleep faster and stay asleep longer to get better night sleep. It also helps in reducing the no, of times the person with insomnia wakes up during the night.
Duration of Action
Ambien 10mg is a sedative drug that works faster after consumption. It stays in the body for a maximum of eight hours after the last dose. In some patients, it stays in their system for 14 hours to get thoroughly wash off.
Side Effects of Ambien 10mg
Ambien (Zolpidem) 10 mg can cause moderate to severe side effects if overdosed or misuse, but some of its side effects occur at the starting of the medication. It is better to get instructions of the safe usage of Ambien by your physician or about the medication’s side effects.
Some of the common side effects are:
- chest pain
- muscle pain
- dry mouth
The other severe side effects are:
- Allergic reactions such as swelling of tongue or face and trouble breathing
- suicidal thoughts or attempts
- loss of interest in sex
- feelings of worthlessness
- lack of energy
- difficulty in concentrating
- weight loss or weight gain
- slowed breathing
- shallow breathing
- decreased oxygen in the blood
- Amnesia (memory loss)
- Hallucinations (hearing or seeing the things that not exists)
If you get any of these side effects during the medication, consult your physician as soon as possible or call 911 for emergency medical help.
Do not drive or do other activities that require alertness, if you have taken the dose of Ambien and not get full night sleep.
It can also cause abnormal behavior like agitation, hallucination, or problem in remembering things which you have done like:
- talking on the phone
- eating or preparing food
- having sex
If you get any of these problems, tell your doctor immediately.
- Do not you suddenly stop the medication because you may go through its withdrawal symptoms, consult your expert if you want to stop the drug, he will help you in this.
- Take Ambien 10mg or others on an empty stomach.
- This medication is not recommended for children; it is for the patients who are above 18 years.
- Take the medication of Ambien 10mg exactly as prescribed.
- Do not increase or decrease the doses.
- Do not suddenly stop the medication without taking the expert’s advice.