What Is Ambien 5mg?
Know About Ambien Variation, Dosage, Side effects, Uses, Instructions, and Warnings –
Ambien 5mg is a hypnotic or sedative drug used for a sleeping disorder such as insomnia. It belongs to the nonbenzodiazepine group of medicines. Its tablets come in strengths of 5 mg and 10 mg, and its extended-release tablets come in 6.25mg and 12.5mg.
Ambien 5mg tablet is capsule-shaped pink film-coated, debossed as AMB on one side and 5401 on the other.
Variation of Ambien
- Ambien (immediate-release tablet)
- Ambien CR (extended-release tablet)
- Edluar (sublingual tablet)
- Intermezzo (sublingual tablet)
How Ambien 5mg works?
Ambien 5mg belongs to the group of sedatives. Ambien works by increasing the level of GABA, GABA is a chemical which causes sleepiness. By increasing its activity, a person falls asleep quickly.
Uses of Ambien 5mg
It is used to treat problems like insomnia in adults. Ambien belongs to a class of drugs called sedative-hypnotics. It helps in falling asleep to get a better night’s rest, for those who have trouble falling asleep.
Duration of Action
Ambien 5mg works very quickly after the consumption in about 30 minutes, and its effect lasts up to 8 hours after the last dose. Its half life span for the drug to decrease in half is 1.5 hours. For most of the patients, it takes 14 hours to wash off from the system completely.
Ambien 5mg can cause moderate to severe side effects. Some of its side effects occur in starting of the medication which gets vanish in some days. It is pertinent to consult your physician about the medication’s side effects and safe usage.
The common side effects of Ambien are:
- dry mouth
- chest pain
- muscle pain
The other severe side effects of Ambien are:
- Allergic reaction like swelling of tongue or face and trouble breathing
- thoughts of suicide
- loss of interest in activities
- feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- lack of energy
- difficulty concentrating
- weight loss or weight gain
- slowed breathing
- shallow breathing
- decreased oxygen in your blood
- Amnesia (memory loss)
If you get any of these symptoms during the medication, consult your health expert immediately or call 911.
- If you have taken the dose of Ambien and not get full night sleep, do not drive or other activities that require alertness.
- This drug can cause abnormal behavior such as agitation of hallucination (or problem in remember things) if you get any of these symptoms tell your doctor.
- If you suddenly stop the medication, you may go through its withdrawals. Tell your doctor if you want to stop the medicine, he will gradually decrease your doses.
- Taking Ambien with food can cause allergic reactions; you have to take this drug on an empty stomach.
- This medication is not for children; it is recommended only for the patients who are 18 years or above.
- Take the medicines of Ambien 5mg exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not take it in higher doses or smaller than recommended. Do not suddenly stop the medication without consulting the doctor.