What is Ativan 2mg | How to use Ativan (Alprazolam)
Know About Ativan –
Ativan 2mg is short term benzodiazepine used to treat anxiety disorder in adults. It comes from a group of medicines called benzodiazepines. Ativan is a brand of drug Lorazepam. It comes in the market with strengths of 0.5 mg, 1 mg, and 2 mg. It can be identified by its circular shape small white color tablet. Sometimes it is prescribed for insomnia.
Uses of Ativan 2mg
Ativan is a benzodiazepine which treats anxiety disorder, insomnia (trouble in sleeping), psychiatric disorders, and severe seizures. It is also given to the patients before surgery to make them sleepy.
It works on the brain and CNS to provide calming effects.
How to use Ativan
- If you get any doubt about your health, ask your doctor or pharmacists.
- Do not suddenly stop the medication without consulting the doctor.
- Before starting the medication, tell the doctor about your allergies and other diseases.
- Read the instruction manual carefully, provided by your physician for secure use.
- If you use this medication for a longer time, it may stop working well. Consult your doctor if this happens.
Duration of Action
The half-life of Ativan 2mg is approx twelve hours after the last dose. It takes almost three days to wash off from the body thoroughly. The active metabolite in Ativan 2mg is glucuronide which has a life of 18 hours.
For an adult patient, the usual dose of Ativan is 2mg to 6mg daily or as prescribed by the doctors.
Most of the anxiety patients, get prescribed for an initial dose of Ativan 2mg to 3 mg 2-3 times a day.
The doses of Ativan 2mg or 1 mg given before 2 hours of surgery but not exceed than 4 mg.
The maximum dose of Ativan is 8 mg per day.
Side effects of Ativan
The most common side effects of Ativan 2mg include:
fever, constipation, headache, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, changes in appetite.
These effects may occur in starting or during the medication but vanish in three or fewer days, if these effects last for more than three days, call 911 for emergency help.
The other chronic side effects of Ativan 2mg are:
- change in vision
- slurred speech
- unusual weakness
- swelling of throat, tongue or face
If your doctor prescribed you Ativan 2mg, then he judged that this medication is more beneficial for your health more than its side effects.
This is not a complete list, and other side effects may occur if someone overdosed or misuses it.
If you are a citizen of the U.S or living there, you can report your side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
- If you or someone missed the dose of Ativan 2mg and it is the time of another treatment, then you can skip the missed dose, but do not double the dose to make up the missed one it will become an overdose. If you remember the missed dose in time, then take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Store the drug in a safe place where nobody can easily reach or at room temperature.
- If you get someone who overdosed on Ativan 2 mg, call immediately poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Medical tests can be helpful to know the medication is working well or not.